Historically, we have enjoyed a high standard of behaviour from our participants. This Code of Conduct has been created to ensure this high standard continues. As organisers of this event, we expect everyone participating to conduct themselves appropriately and in a respectable fashion. Unacceptable behaviour and/or harassment falls below the standards we expect and accept from our participants.
Unacceptable behaviour includes (but is not limited to):
- offensive verbal comments related to; gender or gender identity, age, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, professional ability, appearance, education, financial background,
- sexual images in public spaces,
- deliberate intimidation, bullying, harassment,
- stalking, following,
- harassing photography or recording,
- sustained disruption of talks or other events,
- inappropriate physical contact,
- unwelcome sexual attention.
If any participant or group of participants engages in behaviour that violates this Code of Conduct, the event organisers will take the appropriate action, including warning or expulsion from the conference with no refund or contacting the appropriate authorities.
If you have any concerns, we encourage you to inform a member of Software Acumen staff, who will put into action our plan to deal with breaches. This includes offering support, contacting the appropriate security and ensuring required assistance is given. You are welcome to inform us at any time during or after the event of a breach of this code. We understand you can feel safer speaking to us from a distance whether that is defined as a period of time or by contacting us via email. If your personal safety is at risk we encourage you to speak to us with all urgency.
We understand that breaches of this code can be very upsetting but that you may not feel your personal safety is at risk. If this is the case and you feel you need time before you contact us, please take the time you need.
Our overarching goal is to have a safe environment for all our participants.
Our events are not suitable for under 18s. We do not moderate content for this age group over and above this Code of Conduct and speakers may use language or references only suitable for an adult audience. Please contact us if you have queries about an under 18 at this event.
Code of Conduct - Taking Action
In most cases, dealing with a breach of this code will be about learning, evolving and improving. It will not be our aim to punish unless we need to.
Our promise to you:
If you report that our Code of Conduct has been breached, we promise to:
- Do our utmost to make you and anyone else affected feel safe again.
- Deal directly with anyone/everyone responsible for the breach.
- Gather all sides of the story.
- Contact any authorities that may be required - promptly.
- If necessary, secure the safety of everyone at the event as swiftly as possible.
- Work with you to find a solution - from a simple apology in the event of a misunderstanding, through to expulsion from the conference or some sort of ban on attending our events for more extreme breaches.
In a decade of event organising, we’ve been delighted to welcome some of the most lovely, collaborative, open-minded and engaged participants to our events. It is very rare to have our Code challenged by unacceptable behaviour. We expect respectful, mature behaviour at our events.
We Will Not Accept Anything Less.
The above promise forms the basis of our Action Plan. Whether we receive a complaint during the event or it’s brought to our attention afterwards, we will deal with it - seriously, swiftly and in conjunction with everyone involved. In a respectful and mature manner.